It’s “Snow” Surprise

Local forecasters may have been surprised by this week’s snow totals, however it’s no surprise that this is the time of year when temperatures drop.

Even though winter doesn’t officially begin until Saturday, December 21, Mother Nature always has a plan of her own. So, no matter what the time and date stamp on your phone tells you, winter has arrived!

Since hibernating, relocating to a warm island, or changing Mother Nature’s plans for our area aren’t likely solutions, we’re offering this: find comfort in natural gas heat for your home. According to the American Gas Association, more than half a million homes in the Northeast switched from oil to natural gas heating since 2000. And, the 177 million Americans who used natural gas to heat their homes last winter saw an average savings of 70 percent compared to those using heating oil, and more than 32 percent compared to homes heated with electricity, says the Energy Information Administration.

So, what are you using to heat your home? If you already use natural gas, find even more energy savings through EnergySense. If you’re looking to switch and save, we can help with that, too.

Now that we have that covered … Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.



For Media help call our media hotline - Phone: (215) 684-6624

Smell Gas? Call (215) 235-1212

Natural Gas smells bad on purpose

That “rotten egg” smell is the smell of natural gas. If you think you smell gas leave the area immediately, and then call PGW at 215-235-1212 from a safe location.

Learn more Leaks, Odors, Safety Tips

Also if you smell gas:

  • Do not use electrical devices including cell phones which may cause a spark and ignite the gas.
  • Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters.
  • Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak.
  • Do not try to shut off any natural gas valves or gas appliances.
  • Do not start vehicles.
  • Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until a PGW employee or a qualified utility representative says it is safe to do so.
  • Do not put out the flames if natural gas ignites.