TIPS TO KEEP YOUR HOLIDAYS HAPPY & SAFE

As the hustle and bustle of the holiday season begins, we’re sharing a few safety tips from our friends and neighbors at the Philadelphia Fire Department:

  • Don’t leave lit holiday candles (or any open flames) unattended. 
  • Be sure outdoor decorations are out of the way of power lines.
  • Do not overload circuits.
  • Keep walking paths clear of electrical cords.
  • Check holiday lights before decorating. Broken bulbs and frayed cords make for a disappointing and dangerous display. 
  • Keep fireplace hearth and surrounding area clear of wrapping paper and toys.
  • Double check that your oven is cleared and turned off after cooking and baking.
  • If purchasing a live Christmas tree, check for freshness and keep it watered.
  • If buying an artificial tree, check for a “Fire Resistant” label.
  • Keep little hands away from lights, cords, candles and any other potentially hazardous holiday décor.  
  • Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and check their batteries regularly.

And remember, if you think you smell gas at any time, call us at 215-235-1212. We’re available 24/7.

Happy Holidays!



For Media help call our media hotline - Phone: (215) 684-6624

Smell Gas? Call (215) 235-1212

Natural Gas smells bad on purpose

That “rotten egg” smell is the smell of natural gas. If you think you smell gas leave the area immediately, and then call PGW at 215-235-1212 from a safe location.

Learn more Leaks, Odors, Safety Tips

Also if you smell gas:

  • Do not use electrical devices including cell phones which may cause a spark and ignite the gas.
  • Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters.
  • Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak.
  • Do not try to shut off any natural gas valves or gas appliances.
  • Do not start vehicles.
  • Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until a PGW employee or a qualified utility representative says it is safe to do so.
  • Do not put out the flames if natural gas ignites.