Two Great Ways to Save Money on Your PGW Bill:
- Enroll in a PGW assistance program or apply for free grant money. Learn More Here
- Conserve your use if you can. Energy conservation saves energy and can reduce the cost of your natural gas bill.
Energy Conservation Tips
- The U.S. Department of Energy has identified weatherstripping and caulking, followed by insulation improvements, as the most effective ways to save energy in a home. Poor insulation makes walls cold and forces the furnace to work harder and use more energy
- Lower your furnace thermostat by three to five degrees, if health permits.
- Have your furnace inspected regularly by a qualified professional and change filters once per month.
- Install a programmable thermostat. These help to save energy by automatically turning down the heat in your home. They can save up to $100 per year in heating costs.
- Turn down the water heater. Set your water heater no higher than 120°F. This is warm enough to meet your household needs and every 10°F reduction can save up to 5 percent in water heating costs.
- Conserve hot water. Low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators can reduce hot water consumption. Take shorter showers and wash only full loads in dishwashers and clothes washers.
- Cook up energy savings in your kitchen, too! Use a smaller pan if possible and put a lid on it so the food cooks faster.